Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Sacrifice


I see you lying there, tucked under the covers looking so cute and vulnerable; with that beautiful grin on your face and any guilt I may have been feeling just melts away.

We had planned a day full of fun.  Reservations had been made, invitations sent out.  Yet, as we woke up that morning, I knew you weren’t feeling well.  I extended the option to cancel, if you weren’t feeling up to it… but you furiously shook your head no.  We set about packing the bags and getting everything set for a night away.  Twice I watch as you sit down to catch your breath.  Twice more, I suggest we cancel.  Twice more you adamantly state no, as long as I wanted to, you were fine.
As we drive to the hotel, a twinge of guilt crosses my mind a couple of times.  I know I could stop this, order the car turned around and take you back home and march you into bed.  But that selfish, little devil deep inside kept my mouth shut.  

After checking in, I grab more than my usual share of the bags and head up to the room.  You grab the rest and follow me up a couple minutes behind me.  You enter the room covered in sweat and completely out of breath.  I order you to sit and quickly check to make sure you’re not running a fever.  The guilty twinges get a bit stronger.  I begin unpacking the bags while you catch your breath.  The chores you normally attend to, I take over to let you rest.  But you quickly find your feet and jump in to assist as much as you can.  Watching you forge ahead in your duties, my guilt slips away to simple concern.  I table my original plans to play, just the two of us, and instead spend the next few hours taking care of you and getting ready for our guests.  Settling you into the Jacuzzi tub to ease the aches and clear your head.  Tucking you into bed with a long, slow, soothing massage.  Leaving you to drift in and out of sleep as I get ready.  Watching you peek out from under the covers to catch a glimpse of me from time to time, as I wander by.  

Than the first guest arrives.  You been told to stay in bed, enjoy the show and let me deal with the details.  You fade into the background, as we begin enjoying each other.  I miss not having you bedside, but love the sacrifice from you.  As I peek over at you, I see you lying there, tucked under the covers looking so cute and vulnerable; with that beautiful grin on your face and any guilt I may have been feeling just melts away. 

1 comment:

  1. So beautiful. Congratulations to Yyou both on finding each Oother.

    ReplyDelete